Second Time Around. by jamies_lady
Past Featured StorySummary: When Victoria meets up with her ex-inlaws, her new life is revealed
Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 5226 Read: 5072 Published: 12/27/2011 Updated: 12/27/2011
Story Notes:
I went to see Hammerfall, and caught the plectrum as it was thrown from the stage... a story had to follow

1. Chapter 1 by jamies_lady

2. Chapter 2 by jamies_lady

Chapter 1 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
When your best friend is also your ex's sister some things have to be said face to face
Victoria Hutchins looked around the restaurant and tried to see her (ex) sister-in-law. It had been over two years since they had actually managed to get together as Julie had been in France with her husband and Torie had been in Scotland. Now they finally had a whole day to chat, spoil themselves and gossip.

A wave brought her attention to the woman sitting in the corner, already surrounded by shopping bags.

"You've started early," Torie laughed as she hugged the woman who had been one of her closest friends for years.

"Too right. I spend most of my time so far away from any shops that I think my ability to try on clothes has been seriously compromised," Julie told her with a smirk. "You look amazing," Julie added as she sipped her coffee. "Have you lost weight or something?"

"Not a pound, but I am getting more exercise these days, and decent clothes that fit properly," her friend laughed. "They do the most wonderful avocado and prawn salad here, but I'm having the hot chicken one. No shell fish for me for a while," Torie said, catching the eye of one of the waitresses.

The two women ordered quickly and carried on chatting. "No shell fish?" Julie grinned. "No pate or soft cheese either, I'm hoping."

"None, not for another five months at least," Torie confirmed with a grin.

She could get no further. “Baby?!!” Julie's high pitched squeal could be heard throughout the room.

“Yep,” she told Julie ecstatically.

"This new man must be something special, but why didn't you tell me?"

“We didn't want to say anything until all the tests came back clear, given my age. I am 45 after all, but yes, I'm four and a half months pregnant, with a little girl. Steve is delighted.”

“So am I, you deserve this.” Julie hugged her closely. “I'm going to be an aunty again. Have you thought of any names?”

“Nothing outlandish, we've agreed on that. Despite what he does for a living. We like Charlotte, but it depends on the baby. We'll see how it goes.” Torie sipped at her fruit juice.

"Come on and tell me. Who is he? How did you meet? What do the kids think of him? Has my arsehole of a brother met him yet? You know, all the important stuff," Julie demanded.

Torie laughed at her friend's enthusiasm. "In order, his name is Steve, I met him at a rock gig, the kids love him and no, Larry doesn't even know about him. I tried to tell him I was seeing someone but he keeps thinking I'm lying to him."

Julie put down her fork and stared at Torie. "I said details," she demanded.

Torie laughed. "This requires cheesecake," she told Julie, seriously. "Lots of cheesecake."

Over the rich dessert, she started telling her tale. "After the divorce, I was a mess. Laura and Rory hated their father and I was trying to keep everything together."

Julie reached over a comforting hand and squeezed. "My brother was a jerk. I will never understand how he could throw away fifteen years of marriage for that bimbo," she said honestly.

"It hadn't been good for years. He hated everything I tried to do. He even hated my cooking."

Julie snorted. "As I said, an idiot. Your food would tempt an angel from heaven and I would happily sacrifice any of my children for just a slice of your chocolate cake."

"Thank you, I'll make one for you to take home with you. As I was saying, things hadn't been good for years and I tried to keep it together more for the kids than for me. Finding him in bed, on our wedding anniversary, with that woman was the final straw. Anyway, the kids got fed up with me moping around and organised for me to go and see Unhallowed Ground. They were playing a pre tour gig at the Picturehouse - here in Edinburgh."

"And?" Julie prompted. "Details, I need details. I live for details. What did you wear? Who did you go with?"

"I went on my own. The kids stayed at a friends for the weekend, and I wore my black and silver corset, with a black skirt. It was an amazing evening. I loved the new stuff, and they played some of their classics. The whole place was rocking. I managed to stand right by the barrier and knew all the words, even to their new material. I'd had the album a whole four days."

Julie laughed again. She had been one of the few people to understand her friend's obsession with heavy rock music in general and Unhallowed Ground in particular.

"Is Jon Watson as good looking in person as he is on the album sleeves?" Julie asked. She'd always liked the look of the lead singer.

"Mmhhmm, he is, and Cougar Mansfield is even better looking. I met them in the bar afterwards and they signed my ticket for me." Torie had a smirk on her face as she spoke, as though she was keeping a great secret.

"I know that look, sister! You got a kiss from one of them!" Julie exclaimed.

Torie blushed scarlet and hid under her hair. "Something like that," she admitted.

"And you met this new guy?" Julie asked as she finished the last of her cheesecake.

"I did. He saw where the pic landed when it was thrown from the stage; down my cleavage before you ask."

“Good target,” Julie grinned. “Especially when you wear one of those proper steel boned corsets you love.”

“I loved them, Larry hated them. Made me look like a tramp, he always said. Anyway, I was wearing one and the pic went straight in. Steve met me in the bar, bought me a drink and offered to fetch it out. I told him that would cost at least dinner,” she grinned at the memory of the stunningly good looking man chatting her up.

“Wow, you were on form that night. What did he say to that?” Julie munched another piece of her cake as she listened enraptured.

“He laughed, and made a date for the following night. He was working in Glasgow, but I went over and the rest, as they say, is history. I was forty-three years old, thought life had passed me by. A nasty divorce was still haunting me, and I was rebuilding my life as best I could when this amazing guy asks me for a date. It felt like a dream, or a nightmare. I kept waiting for him to tell me it was a joke. But he didn't. Instead, he asked me to move in with him. He had more than enough room for us all at his place.”

She was interrupted by an exclamation of astonishment from Julie. “You're living at the Grange? I thought you were working as a house-keeper there or something.”

“I live there, all one hundred acres, palatial Regency mansion of it. There's a swimming pool and stables. The kids adore Steve; and he's good to them. He spends time with them, talks to them. They went to the zoo today. Larry didn't want to be bothered with them, not that they want to spend time with their father. Do you know that when Rory had a concert, he flew up from London, without sleep, to be there. Larry couldn't make it an hour down the road. Rory was so disappointed; then Steve walked in, and you'd have thought my son had won the lottery.” The emotions showed clearly on Victoria's face. “Time after time he's let the kids down. Laura refuses to even tell him when something's going on at school. She says it's not worth the effort any more.”

“Never mind about the arse hole, tell me about the hunk, now” Julie demanded as she paid the bill and collected her shopping together.

“Six foot three and a half, long blond hair, tattoos and is five years younger than I am,” Torie answered with a sparkle in her eyes. “Gorgeous, actually beyond gorgeous. He writes poetry, is into martial arts, has a blackbelt in about three different disciplines, rides bikes, loves music, has twins, boys.”

"What about their mother? Has she caused you any problems?" Julie nibbled the inside of her cheek, she knew how hard step-parenting could be.

"None what so ever. She is a lovely lady, she works abroad and sees the kids, Thomas and Bennet, whenever she can. They live with Steve and are eight and a half. Steve and Leanne have never really been a couple. They were friends, who got drunk one night and didn't approve of abortions. Thomas took a while to warm to me, but we went shopping with Leanne and her girlfriend.”

She waited while Julie regained some sort of composure. “You mean she's gay? Is she out?”

“Sort of, her friends and family know, but she doesn't broadcast her private life around much. And she's a darling; so is Morgan, her other half. They've been together for years. She's beautiful; Jules, beautiful and skinny, and everything Larry kept telling me I wasn't. This amazing man had two children with her, but he says he prefers me, at my size. He says he likes curves and I know he's a boob man,” she had to smile at the memory. “It took me a long time to believe he wasn't setting me up for a joke. Sometimes I still don't believe it,” she continued, “The nicest thing is he loves the me I love. He likes me cooking for him, running him a bath, getting dressed up and going out. He took me to an art exhibition, and to the ballet, and museums; as well as shopping and out for dinner. Once a month, when he's home, we go out somewhere special; for a meal, a concert, just something. Sometimes, it's classical music and sometimes it's a rock gig. He's never ashamed to be seen with me, never pretends that I'm not with him. He says he's proud to be seen with me.”

Julie looked at her in horror at what she hadn't said. “Are you telling me that my prat of a brother made you feel anything other than the incredible, loving, wonderful woman you are? Are you telling me that he actually treated you that badly and you actually stayed with him? You wait until Dad and Mum hear this one. They hate Cheryl. She's rude, and as plain ignorant as they come. The only things she has going for her are either surgically enhanced or dyed.”

They shopped in silence for a few minutes, just thinking about everything that had been said.

"So, are you going to Dad's birthday? Or are you going to pretend you haven't been invited," Julie finally asked.

Torie sat back and nibbled her lip. "Your Dad was amazing during the divorce, but I know Larry will try and cause trouble if I go. I was planning to take the kids and leave." Torie picked up a black Jaques Vert skirt and looked at it, taking time to consider her reply. Richard Carmichael was going to be seventy, and he had invited the whole family to his birthday party.

"He's said my new boyfriend, fiancé, can come if he wants," Torie told her childhood friend. "He's met him and likes him..."

Torie laughed, and wrapped an arm around her friend. “Come on, let's go and do some damage to the credit cards. There are sales on all over and I'm sure we can find some more stuff to buy.”

The two women spent the rest of the day shopping and gossiping. The big stores along Prince's street in Edinburgh were all thoroughly examined for all the bargains. Almost overwhelmed with the shopping they hailed a taxi and tumbled in, laughing all the time.

"The Balmoral hotel, please," Torie told the driver as they settled into their seats.

Julie looked at her ex sister-in-law. "This new man of yours is rich isn't he?” she finally asked.

Victoria nodded. “Very,” she said. “And he enjoys spoiling me. I had to fight for every penny of child support Larry deigned to give me. He refused to buy presents for the kids when we were married, but Steve set me up with credit and debit cards within weeks of us meeting. I had near enough moved in with him in less than five months. Jules, I love him and am loved by him. What gave it away?” she finally asked.

“The Balmoral, the amount you've spent today, the clothes you're wearing. None of it's cheap, and you're not frightened any more. Most importantly, when am I going to meet this paragon of virtue? And I might be happily married; but does he have a brother?” Julie whimpered.

Torie burst out laughing, “No brother and Neil would kill me. How about you come in now and meet him? We'll stick you in a taxi to get back to your hotel in time to change for tonight. Come on.” She paid the driver quickly, and pointed out all her bags to the Concierge, who came out to meet them. “The Royal Suite,” she told him as she made her way through the foyer.

“The Royal Suite?” Julie echoed. “Is he a millionaire or something?”

“Something,” Torie smiled and led the way into the bar, where she could see Steve sitting at the bar. “Well, Larry said he had found someone younger, prettier and better than me, so I did the same,” she smiled. “Come and meet him. He's the one in the long leather coat and the leather pants.

Torie crept up behind the slim man she had spotted and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him on the cheek.

He turned quickly, ready to push away whoever had grabbed him, but as soon as he saw Torie his face softened.

Julie just stood there, watching open mouthed, as her friend got a tender kiss on the hand.

“You have some explaining to do, Lady” she finally exclaimed.
End Notes:
my thanks to Bunnyhops for the beta and to shadow for the input
Chapter 2 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
The father-in-law's party
Richard and Elizabeth Carmichael swept their beloved grandchildren into their arms as they arrived at the party.

“You've all grown so much,” Elizabeth exclaimed as she took in Rory and Laura. “You are as beautiful as your mother,” she told Laura as she looked her eldest granddaughter up and down.

“Torie, thank you so much for coming, it means a lot to me,” Richard said as he kissed his ex-daughter-in-law's cheek.

“I had too, I divorced Larry, not the rest of you,” she grinned. “You stood by me through thick and thin. Now that things are going well for me I'm not going to just walk away.”

Rory hugged his grandmother but wasn't sure what to do for his grandfather. The older man held out a hand for him to shake.

The four of them chatted, leaving Torie to look around the room. Larry was there with the woman he'd left her for; she was a petite blonde, her hair dyed inexpertly. Torie could see the roots showing from where she was.

Elizabeth tapped her on the elbow. “Torie? Did you hear me?”

“I'm sorry, I was miles away. What did you say?”

“That new man of yours, is he coming tonight?” Elizabeth asked again.

“He is, he'll be here in about an hour or so. He got caught up with work and sends his apologies. He hoped you'd understand.” She smiled at her ex-parents-in-law.

“A man's work is important, work and family. Pity Lawrence never learned that one.” He shook his head as he looked across at his son.

Torie patted his arm. “Larry was never prepared to work at things. He always seemed to expect to be the centre of everyone's world. He hated it when the children came alone and took me away from him.”

Richard looked at Torie, trying to judge her mood. “I have known you since you were born. Your dad was my best friend. I just wish my son had been a better husband to you, and a better father to his children.” He looked across in disgust at the way Larry was hanging onto his girlfriend. “I don't know what happened to him. He changed.”

“He changed when the world didn't give him everything he asked for just because he was Lawrence Carmichael. He changed when he had to look after me when I was pregnant, and I didn't always have the energy to look after him. The selfish streak was always there to a certain extent.” She hugged Richard closely. “Today isn't about me, it's about you. You are supposed to be celebrating hitting seventy, reliving your wild youth and forgetting about worries.”

Richard hugged Torie and then took a good look at her. “You look wonderful. This new man of yours is certainly good for you.”

“He is, and he spoils me rotten,” she told them both. “He bought me some perfume last week; it's Hermès' 24 Faubourg, at over £600 a bottle, just because he thought I might like it.”

“I'm glad you are happy. You deserve it,” Elizabeth told her, before turning to greet some new arrivals.

“On your own, still?” a familiar voice beside her asked.

“Hi, Larry and no. Steve's running a bit late. He had some business to catch up on before he could get away. He'll be here as soon as he can.”

Larry smirked. “You really shouldn't involve the children in your fantasies, you know. It's not good for them. I know you are still pining over me.”

“You always were delusional, Larry,” Torie told him and tried to turn away, but Cheryl wouldn't let her. She held on with long false nails, making Torie stay beside them.

“You're just jealous because my Lar-Lar loves me and not you,” she pouted.

“The man I am sharing my life with now is wonderful. He's a considerate lover, who not only knows the map, but the route and the destination as well. He looks after me, and cares for me and I don't have to worry about who he's bedding when I'm not around.”

“It's sad to see an older woman trying too hard, what are you now? Forty seven? And that dress. With your figure, you need to wear more concealing clothes. But then you don't have me to give you advice,”Cheryl said inanely before giggling again.

“That was kind, Sugar-pie,” Larry told her, before giving her a slobbery kiss. “Are you getting fat again?” he asked as he wrapped his arm around Cheryl. “Your boobs seem bigger.”

“That's because I am four and a half months pregnant, Larry. And when a woman is pregnant her body shape changes. At least it does if it's natural.” She glanced across at Cheryl's obvious enhancements. She smiled to herself as she walked away. She could hear Cheryl asking Larry what she meant.

“It's OK, baby. She's just jealous. That's all. Just jealous.”

“Jealous?” Julie asked as she came up beside Torie. “Have you told him who you're going out with?”

“Nope, and not going to. It's none of his business. He'll find out soon enough though. Especially when the baby's born.”

The party was at full swing, music blaring from the disco, mostly sixties and seventies stuff in honour of the birthday boy. The children were playing and dancing with their cousins, and Torie watched from the side-lines, smiling as they tried to jive.

Julie and her husband, Neil, came up and watched as well. “Larry and Cheryl are making fools of themselves again,” she pointed to where her brother was draped over the woman at his side. “How can anyone want to watch him sticking his tongue down her throat. Ugh.”

Larry broke off from his assault on his girlfriend when the roar of a high powered car could be heard through the room. He looked out of the window and drooled as a golden green pearlescent Marussia B2 supercar pulled up outside on the drive.

“Wow, would you look at that!” Neil exclaimed, as the door swung up and a leather-clad figure climbed out.

“Looks like your man is here,” Julie laughed.

“Yep, he does like to make an entrance. He bought the car because he said the colour matched my eyes and no-one else should be allowed to drive it,” Torie told them, before hurrying off to greet her fiancé .

Julie and Neil followed her closely. Richard and Elizabeth came up to say hello to the late arrival.

As Steve Mansfield entered the room he dominated it. His eyes searched the faces until he saw Torie and then he visibly relaxed. The silence seemed to permeate the room as the younger generation started to realise just who had walked in.

As Torie reached him, he took her hand and placed a single kiss on its palm. It was one of the most erotic things Julie had ever seen.

Neil stood there with his mouth open, before pulling his wife back to him. “Do you know who that is?” he demanded.

“Steve, Torie's other half,” she answered in an innocent tone.

“That's Cougar Mansfield. The lead guitarist from Unhallowed Ground,” he almost shouted.

“Yep,” Julie grinned up at her husband. “And Torie's new man.”

“He's on guitar legends, Mum!” her son exclaimed. “The game you bought me for Christmas. He's on it.”

“Why don't you ask your cousins to introduce you,” she suggested. “They live with him.”

She watched in amusement as her own kids ran off then stood back, hesitantly until Laura and Rory pulled them forward. The tall man pulled Rory and Laura in for a hug, then spent time chatting with
Stephanie and Mark. He leaned back and roared with laughter over something, then fished in his coat pocket for a pen. Autographs were signed and Julie's children hurried back to their parents. Their eyes shining with delight and the precious signatures grasped firmly in their hands.

Elizabeth watched Torie and Steve closely all evening. They seemed so happy. She was about to step in when she saw her son approach them at the bar, but Richard stopped her.

"Let the man deal with this himself. He doesn't need you to help him," he kissed his wife on the forehead. "Maybe he can teach Laurence the lesson we failed to. Sit back and watch, and enjoy the show."

Elizabeth looked at her husband. "You really like him," she said in an astonished tone. "I mean really."

"I do. And he obviously cares a great deal for Victoria."

Torie kissed Steve's cheek before heading off for the bathroom. The one thing she didn't like about being pregnant was the constant need for the loo.

Cheryl noticed her rival's departure and pulled her top just a little lower, displaying what she thought of as her best assests, before heading over to see if she could get a piece of the Rock-God.

Steve had finally caught the barman's attention. "Whatever the birthday boy is drinking, a grapefruit juice topped up with diet lemonade, a pint of bitter and a white wine." The kids came racing by, "and four cokes," he added.

"Oooh, is one of those for me," Cheryl purred in a supposedly provocative voice, "'Cause I take mine with rum."

Steve looked down, and shuddered. He'd spent most of his working life running from women like this. Larry, Torie's ex, came up beside them and wrapped an arm around Cheryl's waist, causing the woman to titter inanely.

"Surprised that a man like you would even look at a woman like Vickie," Larry said as he looked the leather clad rocker up and down.

"A man like me? Don't you think I'm good enough for her?" Steve asked, deliberately misunderstanding the man.

Larry snorted. "I meant she's hardly the sort you'd expect a rock star to go out with. I mean she's hardly a glamorous supermodel. She's frigid, and cold, and nags.”

“Frigid?” Steve laughed. “Frigid?” he asked again. “She's one of the most passionate women I have ever met.” He moved in close to whisper more privately. “And one of the most loving. I have always valued mature passion over youthful lust. She is an amazing cook, too.”

“If you like all that fancy muck. I prefer meat and veg,” Larry said smugly.

“She is an amazing cook,” Steve repeated. “Runs my home efficiently, is the most divine hostess when my friends come over, gives massages like a professional and behaves like a Geisha in the bedroom. I should thank you for keeping that side of her chained and desperate for release, because I am the one who benefited from your stupidity. Now, if you will excuse me I have a lady waiting for her drink. And, a word of advice between you and me, you never keep a lady waiting.”

With that, he took the tray and headed back to where Torie was sitting with her ex in-laws.

He stopped moving for a few moments; just to drink in the sight of the amazing woman he was lucky enough to share his life with. She looked amazing, ripe, luscious. Her sable hair was caught up in a simple clip, keeping it off her face, but letting it flow down her back, the way he loved. It was about the only thing on which they disagreed. He loved her hair down and tended to release it from whatever style she'd spent hours putting it up in. Steve smiled as he watched her caress her abdomen, knowing she was happy to be pregnant by him, and how much they both loved the little girl that was coming to them. It had been a joyous day when the results of all the tests had come back and they knew their child was healthy. The knowledge that she carried his child inside her made him want her more, not less. He loved the way she played, the love of life that infected everything she did.

Steve delivered the drinks and sat to talk to his host and hostess. Julie grinned as her father and Steve got talking bikes and fast cars.

“I only bought it because of the colour. I know that sounds really stupid, but I was going in after a Lamborghini, and the colour of the Marussia just leapt out. It's the same shade as Torie's eyes and changes just like they do. I couldn't let anyone else have it,now could I?” he asked reasonably.

Elizabeth laughed at the expression on his face, and the way he caressed Victoria's name as he spoke it. “You are a naughty man. I can see what Torie loves about you.”

“Your wine, Ma'am,” he said, handing her glass back to her.

Elizabeth laughed again. “So, seeing as we are looking after the children tonight, where are you taking Torie?”she asked, nosily.

“There's a country house hotel, and I've booked us in for a couple of nights. I even remembered to pack her art stuff in the car,” he added.

Julie looked across at her friend. 'Lucky bitch' she mouthed, causing Torie to burst out laughing again.

Julie glanced at the dance floor. “Come on,” she ordered, grabbing Torie's hand. “Let's show them how it's done.” With that the two women raced off, still laughing and started to dance. At first it was slow, just moving to the music, but the DJ changed the track and a good jiving number came on. They fell into the old routine quickly, swinging each other around.

Steve just watched from the side-lines, happy that she was happy and enjoying herself.


The evening seemed to be going almost too well for Julie. She headed over to where her brother was sitting with Cheryl.

“Have you got Mum and Dad's present?” she asked. “It's nearly time for the speeches.”

Larry looked down at the ground, then around the room.

“Larry, we all sent you the money. You were supposed to book them that holiday,” Julie looked panic stricken. “Larry what have you done?” she finally asked in a cold, almost emotionless voice.

“They're old. What do they need a holiday for anyway?” Cheryl told her. “I spent the money on having my nails done and getting a new dress.”

Julie stared open mouthed at her brother. “You really are a selfish git,” she stormed; the tears obvious in her eyes. “We all saved hard for that money. You will pay us back, each and every one of us, each and every penny.”

She almost ran out of the room and onto the terrace, she needed to cool down a little before facing the rest of the family.

Torie and Steve were sitting quietly; Torie had started to get overcome by the heat in the room and had needed the fresh air.

“What's happened, Jules?” she asked as her friend slumped in the seat beside her.

“My git arsehole of a brother didn't get Mum and Dad's present. We'd all sent him the money and that bitch of a girlfriend of his spent it on a manicure and a new dress. I don't know what to do. I can't afford to get them anything else.” She burst into tears of frustration. “We trusted him. We'd saved up to send them on the Orient Express. Just a short break. We couldn't afford anything more. But they had always wanted to go. Now this. I could kill him.”

Steve slipped away, leaving Torie to deal with the crying woman; and headed into the hotel. A couple of words with the receptionist and he was escorted into the office.

Torie watched him go, with a small smile on her face. She knew that look on his face; he was up to something. She spent the time soothing her best friend.

“I don't understand how he could do this,” she wailed. “We were so stupid to trust him.”

“Preaching to the choir, sister,” Torie laughed. “Preaching to the choir.

The speeches went well, the grandchildren handing over the gifts they had made themselves. Julie got more and more nervous as it came closer and closer to the time of the presentation. She gripped Neil's hand tightly, knowing that everything was about to come crashing down around her. Someone slipped an envelope into her free hand. Looking round she found herself staring at the silk shirt covering Steve Mansfield's chest.

“You are tall,” she commented as she forced her gaze upwards. “What's this?” she asked.

Steve grinned and said nothing.

Peeking inside, she had to stop herself from squealing. There was a computer printout confirming two tickets on a luxury holiday aboard the Orient Express, dates to be arranged. It was an open ticket and must have cost a fortune.

She stared open mouthed at the piece of paper.

“It's only money. Now go and give your speech,” Steve said with a smile. He stood back, letting Richard and Elizabeth's family enjoy the day.

Torie hugged the pair, then her children. “Be good for your grandparents,” she reminded them, before letting the man of her dreams guide her away.

The car gave a deep throated roar, and vanished down the drive, leaving Larry and the memories of his cruelty in the dust.
End Notes:
review, please review...they have been getting fewer and fewer and the muse is sulking
This story archived at http://www.sinful-dreams.com/unicorn/fic/viewstory.php?sid=27