A Christmas Carolina by jamies_lady
Summary: Only one ghost and it isn't Carolina's life she wants to improve
Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 7381 Read: 494 Published: 12/26/2013 Updated: 12/26/2013

1. Chapter 1 by jamies_lady

Chapter 1 by jamies_lady
Carolina Dupris stormed through the lobby of the office block, and hurried to the lift that would take her to the top floor, her penthouse and privacy. She had to take deep, calming breaths as the lift doors opened far too slowly, to prevent anyone seeing her break down in tears. Three short steps and she was inside, punching the button as hard as she could. As soon as the doors closed she let the them fall from her eyes. The morning had been a disaster. Her precious son had vanished and left a heartless monster in his place. She had found him yelling at one of his members of staff for saying “Merry Christmas” to someone on the phone. He had changed so much from the loving, joyful man that had been her pride and joy that she hardly recognised him.

Christopher Dupris' very soul had changed in the last six months. Carolina looked around the lift, trying to find something to take her mind off her son's behaviour. There was nothing. The overly decorated tree was missing from the corner; there were no hanging bells or tinsel. The only thing in the metal box to remind anyone what time of year it was, was a simple typed note stating that the Christmas party had been cancelled, and that staff would be expected to pay for the Christmas meal in the canteen. It was so different from the way it had been only a year ago.

She watched the numbers climb higher and higher as she was whisked to the top of the tall building that was the head office of Dupris international. It was the day before Christmas Eve, usually the last day any real work was done in the edifice that had been the headquarters of her late husband's family business for more than a century. Her grandmother-in-law would be rolling in her grave, she had always kept Christmas well. As Dickens' said 'it was always said of him (her) , that (s)he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge'. The woman had been in her eighties when Carolina and Jacob had married, and had gone out of her way to welcome Carolina into the family. Her generous spirit and loving nature had been a joy to all who ever met her. Something had killed that spirit in Carolina's son. Christopher had turned into the copy of Scrouge. A man who lived for nothing but work. Carolina tried to remember the last time Christopher had done anything for the joy of it and couldn't. He hadn't been hunting since the summer, and certainly hadn't gone to their cabin in the north of Canada. Christopher had always loved the wilderness as a child, and had usually spent time out in the wilds. But not this last half year.

The lift chimed, calling Carolina from her musings and the doors opened to reveal the reception area for the penthouse office and apartment. The wall was dominated by the portrait of Violet Dupris, the founder of the original Dupris Emporium. Caroline had always loved the portrait. It was, however, missing the garland of winter greenery that usually crowned it at this time of year.

“Good afternoon, Ms. Dupris,” Marsha said as Carolina came out of the lift.

Carolina stopped mid stride. “I thought you were taking the afternoon to do some last minute shopping?” she blurted out.

“Mr. Dupris has sent a memo that anyone taking unauthorised leave needn't come back to work. He's cancelled the children's party as well,” she added in a cold, formal voice.

It was obvious to Caroline that her long serving secretary was not impressed with the change in routine.

“I've been here nearly thirty years, I remember that man as a boy, and the parties have never been cancelled before.” Marsha pointed out before turning back to her typing.

Carolina made her way into the apartment, and threw her handbag onto the sofa. Another portrait of her gran watched her as she kicked off her shoes and laid her Chanel jacket on the back of her chair. A large glass of wine was soon poured and the gas-fire lit, adding a warm ambience to the modern room.

Carolina hadn't been to the penthouse in months. Not since she had dismissed the housekeeper that seemed far too familiar with Christopher. It wouldn't have done to have her sort inveigle their way into her son's life. He had been too soft-hearted to show the woman the door, so Carolina had done it for him. After all his beautiful girlfriend, Melinda, was starting to get jealous.

“I wish I knew what had happened to Christopher,” she said as she picked up the photograph frame beside her. The picture in it was a simple one that showed Christopher and his father building a snowman. Christopher must have been twenty five when it was taken, the year before Richard had died.

“I miss you so much, Richie. So does Chris.”

The heat of the fire and the warmth of the wine were beginning to have an affect because Carolina could have sworn that the portrait of Violet had moved, had turned to look at her.

“Impossible,” Carolina shook her head and put the glass back down.

“What's impossible, darling?”

Carolina spat out the mouthful of wine. “Did you say something?” she demanded of the picture.

“I asked what was impossible,” the portrait replied. The grand old dam peered down at Carolina. “You said something was impossible and I asked what you meant.”

Carolina stared and gulped.

“Do stop gawping at me, Carolina. It is Christmas and miracles happen.”

“Miracles?” Carolina looked hard at her glass and then at the picture.

“Yes, child, miracles. That boy of ours is in a dangerous place, and I negotiated a single chance for us to help him. So unless you want him to end up as reviled as a moneylender you need to pay close attention to me.” Violet stood up from her chair and stretched. “That's better. I swear the artist painted me with a crick in my back.”

“He won't listen to me. I tried today and just got shouted at. He said that the Dupris empire was his and I should butt out and leave him to run it. He's never spoken to me like that before.”

“Oh, Carolina, he's hurting. More deeply than you could imagine. He was supposed to be one of the bright lights of this world, and show that business can have a human heart, but his has been broken. I've been allowed one hour to show you glimpses of the now, the then and the what could happen. After that it's up to you.” The portrait sat back in her chair and rearranged the cushion behind her. “Oooh, that's nice. This chair might look wonderful but its devilishly uncomfortable.”

Carolina shook her head. “This sounds like some dreadful version of A Christmas Carol, with you as Marley and me as Scrouge.”

“Well, in that case let's raise a glass of Smoking Bishop, put another shovel of coal on the fire and hope this works.”

“How does this work?” Carolina asked a few moments later, but there was no reply. Instead the room flickered and moved around her.

She found herself in the cabin in Canada. It was snowing outside, the deep snow the locals measured in feet and not inches. She could hear the sound of snowcats outside. When she looked out of the window she could see Christopher throwing his head back and laughing as a snowball headed for him. He ducked it, and threw one back. From the indignant screech it had hit its mark and its mark was female.

There was a moose hanging over the back of one of the vehicles. The other had a tree being pulled behind it. A snowball hit the window and Carolina tried to see who was throwing them. The laughter was coming closer and closer. The door opened and in Christopher came, with a woman in his arms.


Carolina assumed that it was Melinda so turned her back as Christopher kissed the woman as though she was the most important thing in the world to him.

The cabin looked cosy. There were warm throws over the leather sofas, and a thick skin rug on the floor. The fire warmed the air and the smell of stew warmed the souls of the people who sheltered there.

“You did an amazing job on the tanning,” Christopher was speaking and Carolina turned to look at her son. He seemed young, and obviously carefree. He hadn't shaved for a few days and it suited him. His brown hair was almost touching his shoulders. This must have been two summers ago. Christopher had come back from that holiday so happy.

“It seemed to take forever.”

Carolina's head snapped round. That was not Melinda's voice. Standing in the doorway to the kitchen was Eloise, the housekeeper she had fired.

“It's a fantastic gift, Ele. Thank you.” Christopher kissed her softly, before taking the pot from her hands and putting it on the rough table.

“There's bread on the side,” Eloise called out as she brought in the bowls, and a couple of bottles of beer.

The two ate in companionable silence, totally unaware of their audience until the bowls were nearly empty.

Ele swirled her beer around the glass before looking at Christopher. “Are you going to tell your mother about us?” she asked softly.

“I can't love. She's still upset about dad's death and has her heart set on me marrying a piece of arm candy. Just give me time, eh?”

“Did you have to tell her I was the new housekeeper?” Ele started collecting the empty bowls up not looking up.

“It was all I could think of, and you are an amazing housekeeper.” Christopher held out his hand and put the bowls back on the table before leading her to the moose skin rug in front fo the fire.

“Come on we need to christen this.”

Carolina closed her eyes, her heart felt like it was going to break. Eloise had been Christopher's lover, and not just a servant. No wonder she'd not been happy with Melinda around all the time.

Before Carolina could be embarrassed by her son's actions she watched the room start to shimmer again and it morphed into the main reception area of the office block. Eloise was standing by the desk with a clip board in her hand.

Carolina took a proper look at the woman who had been sharing her son's bed. Not even the most generous of people could call her beautiful, tall or slim. She was attractive enough, Carolina supposed. She wasn't the polished beauty that Carolina had always thought Christopher deserved. Jeans a tee shirt and trainers on her feet didn't appear at all suitable to a woman who had an account at Chanel.

Carolina aimed her footsteps towards the woman, who seemed in earnest discussion with the girls at reception.

“Now are you sure this is every child that will be coming?”

One of the girls laughed. “Yes, Ele, every child. Breakdown of age and interests as well. The vans will be ready in half an hour and the toy store is staying open late for you. I still don't know why you don't just order everything.”

“We tried that last year and a few of the children were disappointed, I'm not having that again. Now make sure the caterers get here early and we can set up in here. And keep Hell's Light in the conference room until Christopher has gone upstairs.” She ticked off a couple of items on her board.

“Miss Galloway, how did you get them to do a Corporate event? They never do.”

Ele laughed. “I offered to give whatever amount they set as a fee to the Children's hospital as a donation in their name. They offered to do the gig for free if I gave all the money over. One hundred thousand pounds was sent over this morning. The receipt is there for their manager.” She pointed at a bright red envelope sitting on the desk. “Now I'm away. I need to get the presents Christopher has forgotten to buy for his mother. I have a list.”

“You and your lists. Just how much sleep did you get last night?”

“Three hours, mother.” Ele pulled out her tongue at the younger woman. “Now I'm away. Christopher will be back by three and don't let him see the band.”

There was laughter as Eloise skipped across the foyer and out to the waiting van.

“I thought she just helped organise the parties. I never realised she did it all by herself.” Carolina said softly.

“She organised everything,” the portrait of Violet turned to look at her. No-one else seemed to see the phenomenon.

“She worked hard.”

“None stop,” agreed Violet. “And Melinda took a lot of the credit.”

“And I allowed that to happen. I remember that evening. Chris was over the moon with his favourite band playing and Melinda said she had been the one to persuade them.” Carolina looked ashamed. “I told Ele off for trying to claim the credit. I thought she was just making a fuss.”

“Well, now you know. Ele was the hard working one. Now off we go again.”

Carolina watched as the familiar shimmering took over the walls of the room and they reformed around her.

This time the mist cleared to reveal a warehouse of some sort. It was loaded down with beds and lockers. A industrial sized kitchen was set up in one corner and Eloise was busy peeling Brussel Sprouts.

“Ele, you want a cuppa?” someone called out and Ele waved the knife in the air.

A poster decorated one wall, advertising the Dupris Emporium. Violet Dupris' face turned to look at Carolina as she walked passed.

“What is this place?” Carolina muttered as she looked at the camp beds with their cheap partitions. Each one had a new sleeping bag rolled up on it, as well as a towel and toiletries.

“It's a Christmas shelter. Eloise comes here every year and works the two weeks of the holiday.”

Ele had put down her knife and was sipping at the tea. It was obviously welcome and she was laughing and chatting with the other workers.

“Don't you have any family then?” one woman asked.

Eloise shook her head. “My boyfriend spends Christmas with his family, and his mother doesn't approve of me. She prefers he dates long legged beauty queens who can barely string three words together. I am beneath her notice.”

“Ouch, that's tough. And your folks?” the other woman asked. “Don't they want to see you?”

“God, no. They have my cousin to dote on, I was never good enough for them. Dad did five years for the beating he gave me. It's why I help here, 'cause I know what it's like to live on the streets.” Ele stood up and went back to preparing the veg. Carolina believed in all honesty that she was the only one to see the tears in Eloise's eyes.

“Have a wonderfully happy Christmas, Chris,” she whispered before setting herself back to her task.

Carolina sat in the corner of the room and watched as Eloise worked non-stop before walking home in the gloom to a shabby one roomed flat. The tiniest Christmas tree she had ever seen was on the table, and Eloise was heating up a can of soup for her supper. There was a single card on the shelf, signed from Chris. A mobile phone rang out and she answered it with a broad smile on her face.

“Hi, my darling.” There was silence for a few moments then Eloise spoke again. “I am so pleased they liked their presents, and don't worry that you forgot to get me one. A donation to the shelter will be brilliant.”

There was silence again.

“Are yo going to tell your mother about us this holiday?”

Eloise's face fell and Carolina could see the tears in her eyes.

“I love you so much, Chris. But I can't keep going on like this. It's up to you.”

Before Carolina could hear any more the walls shimmered and she was on the move again.

This time she was in her son's home and it was midsummer to judge by the flowers blooming in the garden.

Carolina wandered around, trying to find out what she was supposed to see this time. There was laughter from the garden and she popped her head out of a window to see a marquee being erected. It had to be the day of the summer ball. She could see a procession of vans heading up the drive and her own car following them.

She could hear Eloise singing so followed the sound to find her in the industrial kitchen overseeing the preparation of the meal. Chris was checking over the wines and smiling as Eloise tasted various sauces.

“You make an amazing housekeeper,” he said before walking off with one of the cases of wine. He didn't see Eloise's face fall when he said the words.

“Well, that answers that,” Eloise whispered to herself before she ran after him. Carolina hurried to keep up, she wanted to see this.

“Is that all I am to you?” Eloise asked Chris as he handed the wine over to one of the liveried staff. “A housekeeper?”

“Can we not do this today?” Chris snapped. Carolina knew her son well enough to know he was actually embarrassed by what he'd said. “We've got three hundred guests coming tonight.”

“Last chance, Chris. If you want us together then we're together and we go as a couple tonight. If you don't - if I've just been a hole to fill when you're bored, let me know and you will never see me again.”

Eloise waited for a few moments for Chris to answer, but none came.

“Just let me know when you know,” she said as she walked out the room.

“Mrs. Dupris,” she said as Carolina walked by her.

“Christopher,” the solid Carolina said as she kissed her son's cheek. “Melinda has agreed to be your date tonight.”

The ghostly Carolina watched as Eloise approached the door carrying a tray and knew the woman must have heard the comment.

“I don't know why you keep that woman around.”Solid Carolina continued. “She's hardly pretty and she keeps me from you. I had such a hard time getting hold of you on the phone.”

“ She's an excellent housekeeper, Mother.” Chris answered in a harsh tone.

A gasp at the door alerted them to the fact that Eloise had overheard the remark. Chris said nothing, but Carolina watched as her other self pointed to the side table. “Leave it there,” she ordered.

The sun seemed to race for a few moments and suddenly it was getting dark. Melinda stood in the hallway as Chris and Eloise were arguing in the study. Both were dressed for the ball and Carolina thought her son looked particularly handsome in his evening dress. He had even tied back his long hair, giving him a rakish charm that reminded her of a highway man. She took a good look at Eloise, who was beautiful. Her make-up and hair had obviously taken her a long time, and the green silk dress suited and flattered her fuller figure.

“What would you have me do?” Chris was demanding. “Mother asked her to go with me.”

“I would have you keep your word, one of us is going to have to be disappointed, and it will be your choice which.”

“Look, Ele, you're a big girl. You can go on your own; Melinda's not like that. She needs an escort.”

Eloise's face went still, and Carolina could see her heart break into a thousand pieces. “I understand,” Eloise told the man. “Go on, off you go. She's waiting.”

Chris shot her a grateful smile and picked up the bow tie for his dinner jacket. “I'll see you later, love.”

Eloise said nothing, but watched as he hurried out the room and greeted the beautiful woman waiting for him. Then she went over to the mirror and stared at the reflection. “You were only a convenience, you were never going to be good enough,” she said to herself as the tears flooded out of her eyes. “It was all a stupid dream” She was still crying as she sat down at the desk and pulled out a piece of paper and an envelope.

Carolina watched in horror as she opened up her clutch bag and removed a pregnancy test that was slipped into the envelope along with a hand written note. The whole thing was sealed and left on the desk.

The last thing Carolina heard was Eloise asking someone to order her a taxi before she was whisked away again.

It was a hospital this time. Carolina looked round to see where she was supposed to go amongst the hustle and bustle of the staff. It was a maternity ward, she could see that. The ward was decorated for Christmas and one room had an open door.

“Such a shame,” one of the doctors was saying. “I hate still births. If only we'd found her earlier we might have been able to save the baby.”

“How?” a very young nurse was asking as the doctor filled out the paperwork.

“We have drugs that could have stopped, or at least, slowed down the contractions; and steroids will help develop the child's lungs. But we were just too late in this case. She was found collapsed in her bedsit. Such a sad case and on Christmas Eve as well. People forget stress is a killer sometimes.”

“You can hold her for as long as you want.” A nurse was saying gently from the open room. “And we can take pictures for you, hand and foot prints, a lock of her hair. What's her name?”

“Rose, my Christmas Rose.”


Carolina slipped into the room properly before the nurse shut the door as she left; then wanted to scream when she saw Eloise holding the smallest baby she had ever seen in her arms.

“I think your father would have loved you,” Eloise said as she rocked the dead child. “It was me who wasn't good enough. I told him about you, and I love you so much, Rose. I just wish I'd been strong enough to keep you inside where you belonged. Just a few more short weeks and you would have lived. It wouldn't have mattered if I'd died. It might have been better really/ You see, I've never been good enough for anyone. You were perfect though. And you would have looked just like your handsome daddy.”

The cries of anguish broke Carolina's heart. She wanted to wrap her arms around Eloise and ease her suffering in any way she could, but she was powerless to help.

“Your Gran always knew I wasn't good enough for your dad, and it looks like she was right. I couldn't even stay pregnant. He's got a beautiful girlfriend now. I saw pictures of them in the papers.” There were more heart-rending sobs that racked Eloise's too thin body. It was obvious to Carolina that the young woman hadn't been taking very good care of herself.

Carolina didn't know how many hours she spent watching Eloise holding and rocking her baby. She heard every cry and sob as the young woman broke down in front of her. Dawn broke across the sky and still she hadn't put her child down into the white basket the hospital had provided.

“I wish I could go with you,” Eloise said as she kissed Rose's forehead. “But even God doesn't want me. Sleep well and know your mother loved you more than life itself.”

“No!!!” Carolina screamed as the shimmering began again. She could feel the tears on her own face and desperately wanted to stay with her grandchild.

“I'm handing in my resignation this week.” was the first thing that alerted her to her new surroundings.

“I already have,” Marsha told the speaker with a sniff. “Mr. Dupris is getting worse and worse and I really can't stand it any more. We've lost nearly a quarter of the old timers.”

“Ah, Ms. Dupris. Ms. Melinda asked if you could collect her from the doctor's office this afternoon?” Carolina went to answer but Marsha handed over a slip of paper to an older version of herself.

“Thank you. Will we see you at the reception later?” Carolina the solid asked.

“No, Ma'am. I can't afford to take the time off.” Marsha smiled, but it was obviously a fake one.

“As if I'd drink with any of them, the way the family's treated us all this year,” she added when the solid Carolina had walked off.

Carolina felt herself whisked away to another medical scene. This time Melinda was sitting up in a bed chatting on the phone. “Are you sure you've got the presents all gift wrapped at the store?” she was demanding in a petulant tone.

She slammed down the phone with a huff, before picking it up on the first ring.
“Sammy, how are you? I'm fine, it was just my regular abortion. I keep telling you that it is the best form of contraception. You should try it.”

Melinda listened for a few seconds. “God, no. I never spend time buying the presents. I just give some rough ideas to the shopper and leave it all to her, it is so much easier. See you tomorrow.”

x x x


Carolina woke with a start. It had to have been a dream, didn't it?

“There's one more scene you could be shown, but I don;t think you want to see Chris dead before he's fifty, do you?” the portrait asked as Carolina tried to get her bearings.”No mother should see her child buried.”

Carolina shook her head. “Dead? Why?”

“Stress, overwork, he ploughed everything into his work, he never even went over to the cabin after she left.” The portrait waved a hand and the walls shimmered yet again. This time a bitter wind chilled Carolina to the bone. Her shoes crunched on frost and gravel and the mist cleared to show her in a graveyard.

A figure was scurrying along, a thin, poor coat wrapped tightly around it in the forlorn hope of keeping away the chill. In the woman's hands was a small bunches of flowers. She darted down one of the lanes and stopped at the foot of the smallest grave Carolina had ever seen. A plain marble stone stood at its head inscribed with the name 'Rose.'

“Your not alone any more, baby. Your daddy died this week. They buried him over there.” Eloise pointed to a grand mausoleum in the distance. I've already put his flowers there. I don't know how much longer I can go on Rose. I miss you both so much. You would have been fifteen this year. I was told it is supposed to get easier, but it never has.”

Eloise cleared the fallen leaves from the ground. Around the little grave. Fifteen and driving your daddy mad over boys. He would have been one of those fathers always cleaning his gun when you wanted to go out. You look after him, you hear. He's new up there and he'll need someone to show him around. I'll see you next week. I'm off to the shelter, I haven't missed a year in fourteen. I love you my baby girl, so much.” Eloise kissed the stone and made her way slowly down the path, walking straight past Carolina.

Carolina moved closer to the grave, and knelt beside it to add her own prayers for the little girl that should have been her only grandchild.

“I would have spoiled you rotten,” she whispered. “You would have been so loved.”

“I am loved, and I have never been alone,” A voice said from behind her. “My mother loves me, and Grandma Violet has looked after me.”

Carolina turned to see a beautiful teenager standing beside the ghost of Violet Dupris.

“Are you real?” she stammered out.

“As real as anyone.” The girl looked into the distance where the solitary figure of Eloise could be seen hurrying away. “She is one of the beautiful souls of this world. She hasn't had a single day without tears since before I was born, yet she still works hard to make the world a better place for others. She gives away most of her wages to the shelter, you know. She barely keeps enough to feed herself.”

“When she dies the world will be a sadder for it,” Violet added. “Come, Rose, child. Time to go back.”

The teenager, Rose, nodded, then gave Carolina a sad smile.

“You look like your father,” Carolina blurted out.

“So I have been told, my mother loved him very much. She's stayed faithful to his memory. I thought you should know.”

Violet chivvied the girl along, and waited until she was out of sight. Snow falling to hide her in its depths.

“Take a flower from the grave, Carolina,” Violet ordered.

Carolina did as she was bid.

“Take it and remember. And stop judging people by how they dress and how long they spend at the spa. Just remember that Eloise wouldn't waste a moment that she could use to help another. Try and do the same.”

Snow began to fall even more thickly until Carolina could no longer see the tombstones.

Then she was home, in the warmth of the penthouse flat.

“A dream,” she snorted, “Too much television and not enough sleep.”

She wanted to dismiss it all but in her hand was the carnation she had picked up from the grave, and it was covered in snow.

“It was all real.”

“As real as anything. Now what are you going to do about it?” Violet stared hard at her grandson's wife.

Carolina got up and paced around the floor, then she burst out of the room and ran to Marsha's desk.

“I need you to organise the Christmas party for tonight,” she ordered. “And if my son complains, tell him his mother told you to.”

“One,” the portrait said as she came back into the room. A small smile started to dance around her painted lips.

Carolina then picked up the phone and asked for security. “Dave, find out the addresses of every homeless shelter in the city, the sort that only open for Christmas. I will need every one of them” She didn't wait for a reply but grabbed her jacket and bag and headed out of the door.

“Get my car to the front,” she called out as she rushed past Marsha and headed for the lifts.
She barely heard the softly spoke “Two,” as she rushed out of the building.

The drive to her son's house was taken up with as many phone calls as Carolina could fit in. She was determined to find Eloise one way or another.

When they finally pulled up outside the building, she hardly waited for the car to stop before she was out and running up the steps. She didn't stop until she was in front of Christopher. For the first time in months she really looked at her son. He was not happy. His eyes were shadowed with demons only he could see and he looked so sad. It was such a small word for the cloud of sorrow that hung around Christopher's head. Sad.

“What can I do for you, mother. I have work.” He didn't even look up at her. “It was what you wanted wasn't it? Me to concentrate on the business.”

Carolina steeled her nerves and closed her eyes for one moment. This was going to be harder than she expected.

“Did you read the letter Eloise left you?” she finally managed to blurt out.

Christopher stiffened. “How did you know about that?” he asked in a cold voice.

“I'm not sure you'll believe me,” Carolina said as she sat down and trembling, explained about her dream, experience, nightmare, whatever it was.

“I never opened it. I was so angry at her and ashamed of myself.” Christopher pulled the envelope out from the back of the drawer. He stared at it, and turned it over in his hand. “If there is a pregnancy test in here...”

“We both owe your grandmother a huge thank you, and if there isn't I need psychiatric help.” Carolina felt her heart pound in her chest. Everything depended on the next few seconds.

“She was so angry with me,” Christopher could barely be heard.

“And with me. I told her to eat with the rest of the servants when she came over once. You should have told me, Chris.”

Her son stood up so quickly that his chair fell over as he faced down his mother. “Tell you? Tell you! When I tried you told me that she wasn't worth the effort and were incredibly rude to her every time you saw her. She'd fought to keep a place in her own family for years and didn't have the strength to do it again. I should have fought for her, but I was too much of a coward and I was stupid enough to believe you every time you clutched you chest and whispered 'my heart'. I didn't want to lose you the way I lost dad. You said she was fat, and lazy. She didn't have a lazy bone in her damn body. She was warm and generous and loved me.”

“And I was wrong.” Carolina walked around the desk and straightened the chair. “Are you going to open it?”

“No. I'm not. If I did and you're right, she might think the only reason I went to find her was because of the baby. She needs to know that I love her and no-one else.”

He grabbed his jacket and slipped it on. “I'm going to treat her like the queen she is, this time. If I can persuade her to come back to me.”

“And Melinda?” Carolina jogged along as quickly as she could, trying to keep up with Christopher's long strides.

“She can go back to one of the other boyfriends she keeps on tap. She only ever wants the spending money.”

Christopher kept playing with the envelope as they drove through the town. The Christmas lights sparkled in the shop windows, their cheerful displays reminding one and all just how close the holiday was.

“I thought she didn't want me,” he finally said as they turned into a dismal little road that looked all too familiar to Carolina.

“She loved you, the real you. The one I couldn't see. The man who enjoyed hunting, either in the boardroom or in the wild. I tried to make you into someone you weren't, she just wanted to love you.”

Carolina watched as her son steeled himself before going into the building. It was as dingy as she remembered it. Carolina gagged as she followed him up three flights of a stinking staircase to a badly painted door. Chris knocked on it slowly, then thumped hard.


“If you're looking for Lou, she's at work at the shop on the corner. She don't sell herself like most do here,” an old woman told them as she peered out from her doorway. “She's a good girl Don't you be causing her no trouble.”

Chris bit back a retort, and it was left to Carolina to ask politely. “Where is the shop?”

“She'll be home soon. If she finishes on time she does.” The woman shut the door with a bang, causing plaster to fall off the wall.

It seemed an eternity until they finally heard footsteps climbing the stairs. Slow footsteps as though the person had no energy.

Christopher held out his hand to his mother, just as he had done as a boy. His nerves were getting the better of him. Carolina linked her fingers into his and they waited for Eloise to appear.

Eloise appeared at the top of the stairs, breathless and struggling. She leaned against the wall to get her breath back

“Come on, Ele you can do it. There's soup and a bed waiting for you.”

She had just put the key in the lock when Christopher stepped out from the shadows.

“Hello, Ele,” he whispered, his voice full of love.

“Hello, Mr. Dupris. It's been a long time.” She didn't look round, but undid the lock and pushed open the door. “You'd better come in. This isn't the best area in town and I wouldn't want you hurt.”

Carolina followed her son into the room and her heart sank even more when the light from the single bare bulb illuminated the woman in front of her. Eloise looked dreadful, her hair was lank and her face drawn and haggered.

She took off her coat and hung it on a hook by the door.

“I can offer you a cup of tea,” she said as she indicated the two chairs. She noticed the way Carolina was examining the furniture. “It is clean. I was always a good housekeeper.”

Carolina felt the shame wash over her, and hung her head. “You were more than that,” she said.

“No, I wasn't. In my dreams maybe, but never in reality. I was a woman who could cure furs and cook over an open fire. Manage parties and a home, but didn't go to a spa. Everything I did for your son or for you can be bought and you all have more than enough money.” Eloise poured the tea into two cups and handed them over.

“Are you not having one?” Christopher finally spoke.

Eloise shook her head. “In a minute, I only have two cups.”

She sat on the edge of the bed, took off her shoes and rubbed her feet.

“You're pregnant,” Chris finally said, after a few uncomfortable minutes.

“Yes, I am. But you don't have to worry, I haven't told anyone who the father is and I have no intention of dunning him for money.” The speech would have sounded stronger without the sob at the end of it. “What do you want, Chris? I kept my promise and I haven't asked you for anything. Not even a housekeeper's wage for the years I was with you.” The silent tears that fell down her face broke Carolina's heart and from the sob her son set free he felt the same.

Chris fell to his knees before Eloise and picked up her hands in his. He kissed her knuckles and then laid his head in her lap and started to cry like a child.

Carolina stood to go and comfort him, but a shake of Eloise's head stopped her.

“You don't have to worry about a thing, Chris. I know I can't afford to look after the baby, but I've found a wonderful family who will adopt him when he's born. No-one will ask you for anything.” She tried to reassure the man who held her heart.

“Her, it's a girl,” Carolina corrected.

“A girl. Adora. The adored one, Abigail, her father's joy. I will have to think about it. The couple said they would use what I chose as a second name. It's all I have to give her.” The tears started again.

“Come home, Baby. It's been so empty without you.” Chris managed to get the words out, despite his face still being in Eloise's lap.

The young woman put a finger under his chin and lifted his face so she could see his eyes.

“Why, Chris? I was nothing special to you. I am a good housekeeper and that's about all. As your mother told me, there is nothing I can do for you that you can't hire someone else to do. Go back to your beautiful girlfriend and forget about me. I've seen you again and that is a wonderful gift, but I don't belong in your world.” Eloise took his hands and kissed them.

“You are my world. I thought you'd left because you were angry with me for not telling my family about us,” Christopher explained desperately. “I need you, baby. You keep me grounded, remind me there is more to life than work. Please come home.”

Whatever Eloise was going to say never got spoken. Instead she grabbed her stomach and let out a mewing sound.

“Christopher, Pick her up and get her to the car,” Carolina ordered.

Christopher swung Eloise up bridal style and did exactly what his mother had told him to, ignoring all the complaints from Eloise.

Carolina brooked no arguments either as she ordered her driver to get them to the nearest hospital as quickly as possible.

“It's only a cramp, I've been having them on and off for weeks. My doctor says they are nothing to worry about.” Eloise tried to explain, but Carolina wouldn't listen. She just kept holding Eloise's hand and stroking it.

The car drew up out side the Accident and Emergency room just as evidence of another pain swept across Eloise's face.

Carolina took point as she strode into the place like she owned it. She was a Dupris by marriage and no-one was influential enough to even slow her down.

“I have a woman coming in in full labour, twenty eight weeks pregnant. We need help now,” she told the nurse briskly.

As soon as the doors opened and Christopher appeared with Eloise in his arms it was like a starting pistol had sounded.

Orders were being shouted and a trolley was produced. Eloise hardly had time to speak as the doctor examined her and ordered her to be taken to maternity as quickly as possible. “We'll have a drip ready for you, and it will slow the contractions down. We may be lucky enough to stop them, but I doubt it. However,” he said as he shoved a needle into her arm. “This will start maturing the little one's lungs.”

“You get the best there is,” Carolina demanded. “No expense spared. That is my granddaughter who can't wait for Christmas.”

“We'll do our best ma'am.” The porters were nearly running with the trolley ordering everyone out of the way.

“Every minute counts until we get the drip up,” explained one of the nurses. “I'll show you the way.”

It had been many many years since she had held her son's hand and guided his steps, but Carolina did just that through the hospital.

They arrived on the maternity ward and she was led to the same room she had seen in her dream. This time Carolina could see that Eloise was hooked up to an IV as well as various machines. The soft rhythmic bleep was a gentle counterpoint to the other noises around them.

“How is she?” Christopher spoke for the first time since they had arrived at the hospital.

“She's fine,” Eloise answered from the bed. “Even if her boyfriend went all ape-man on her and carried her in her. I do have feet you know.” She smiled over at the two people hovering by the door. “You'd better come in.”


Violet Dupris smiled at the sight of her great grandson holding the hand of the woman who was truly his soul-mate before she whispered in Carolina's ear. “There will be many, many Christmases, and grandchildren for you. Just never forget to show Eloise how much she means to all those around her, the love you send out will be returned to you ten fold with an angel in the family. You wait until you see the work Dupris' fortune will pay for, the name will become synonymous with charity and benevolence because of a little girl that has yet to take her first breath.”

And with that the ghost walked into the bright light that had appeared to take her home leaving the little family to the peace that was Christmas.
End Notes:
I was trying to write Wyrd's Weft and this one insisted on being written instead. I only started yesterday morning... so the muse must have been waiting for me.
This story archived at http://www.sinful-dreams.com/unicorn/fic/viewstory.php?sid=40