- Text Size +

 

Chapter 4

 

 

 

Soulcharmer gave the two new dragons the once over before he spoke.  “I thought the two of you were going to Los Angeles.”

 

 

 

“We were,” Venomlitch replied.  She flapped a wing towards Cordelia and Wesley.  “But those two decided to come here instead.”

 

 

 

“Well, since you’re here, we’ll explain everything.”  Soulcharmer looked around at the dragons.  “Where in bloomin’ daisies are Dawnwing and her companion?”

 

 

 

“Right here,” Dawn screeched.  She landed next to Soulcharmer, and her companion tumbled to the ground with an excited exclamation.

 

 

 

“I rode a bloody dragon.”  Spike whirled around to speak to Buffy.  “Did you see that, Slayer?  I rode a bloody dragon.”  He let out an excited giggle.

 

 

 

“I see that,” Buffy replied.  “I assume it was fun?”

 

 

 

“So much bloody fun.”  Spike grinned.  “Wait till I tell Angelus.  He’ll be so jealous.  The broody poofter has wanted to ride a dragon for centuries.”

 

 

 

Soulcharmer brought his head down to stare into Spike’s face.  “Really, Dawnwing?  Him?”

 

 

 

Everyone could tell that Dawnwing was waffling between being crushed and pouting.  “You got to pick the Slayer.  It’s only fair I got to choose her vampire,” the young dragon protest.  She stomped one large foot, and the surrounding buildings shook.  “Besides, you promised.”

 

 

 

Willow leaned over to whisper to Xander.  “I thought Buffy’s vamp was Angel?”

 

 

 

Xander shook his head in confusion.

 

 

 

“He got me kidnapped,” Dawnwing hissed.

 

 

 

Soulcharmer snorted.  “Wrong life, my love.”

 

 

 

“Quit questioning your mate’s choices, the both of you,” Sandvoice boomed.  “Besides we have things to discuss before Stormtravel and Venomlitch return to the City of Angels with their companions.”

 

 

 

Soulcharmer winced.  “Yes, sir.”

 

 

 

“First though, we need a more private meeting place.”  Empress Aidwreck looked around at the very public setting they were located.

 

 

 

A woman stepped out of the shadows.  “I might have a solution for that.”

 

 

 

Buffy and Spike whirled around to study the newcomer.  “Who are you?” they both growled at the same time.  Then, the Slayer and the vampire glared at each other.

 

 

 

“I’m RoseSeri Hassib of the Celestial Council located here in Sunnydale,” the woman said with her hands in the air.  “Our law firm would be happy to accommodate your meeting.”

 

 

 

“For a small fee, I presume,” Spike snarled.  “I know your kind.”

 

 

 

“We are not Wolfram and Hart, Lord Chesterfield.”

 

 

 

Dawnwing crouched down until she could rest her head on Spike.  “Relax, Spike,” the young dragon sighed.  “She’s not like other lawyers.”

 

 

 

“Hassib?” Xander asked in a perplexed voice.  “The same Hassib that has Hassib’s Donut Heaven?  The Hassib that makes the most perfect donuts known to man?”  He sighed with pleasure, and his eyes fluttered shut.

 

 

 

Anya rolled her eyes.  “Xander’s more in love with those Lemony Cheesecake Glazed Donuts that he is with orgasms.”

 

 

 

“Anya,” Xander coughed with embarrassment.  It was the truth, but he didn’t think it needed to be public knowledge.

 

 

 

“I will meet you all at the Celestial Council in twenty minutes.  We’re the complex of buildings on the end of Celesta Drive,” RoseSeri replied.

 

 

 

“That’s out past the Baptist church, right?” Joyce asked.

 

 

 

RoseSeri nodded.  “Yes, it is.  I’ll see you there.”  She turned and walked away.

 

 

 

Buffy looked around at the others.  “Should we trust her?”

 

 

 

“Yes,” the dragons all said at once.

 

 

 

“I guess we’re trusting her,” Xander replied.  He looked up at his dragon, his eyes sparkled with excitement.  “So, do I get a ride too?”

 

 

 

“I suppose.”  Empress Aidwreck sighed.  She was as excited as her companion, but as a member of royalty, she felt she had to keep a dignified front.

 

 

 

Giles took off his glasses to polish them.  “That’s fine for you young folks, but I’m afraid I’m a little too old for dragon riding.”  He shook his head before he shoved his glasses back on his nose.  “That’s something I never thought I’d be talking about.”

 

 

 

“Well, I don’t want to leave my Jeep here,” Joyce said to Giles while she gestured towards her car.  “You can continue to the meeting with me.”

 

 

 

“Thank you, my dear.” Giles followed Joyce to her Jeep.  “We’ll meet you there.”

 

 

 

Cordelia shrugged.  “I better drive too.”

 

 

 

Buffy leapt onto Soulcharmer’s back.  She let out an excited scream when the dragon launched into the sky.

 

 

 

“Can’t let the Slayer have all the fun,” Spike chortled.  He climbed on Dawnwing’s back, and they also launched into the air.

 

 

 

“It’s been way too long since I rode a dragon,” Anya exclaimed.  “Get a move on, Harris.” 

 

 

 

Anya and Xander quickly followed Buffy and Spike’s lead.  This left Willow on the ground standing next to Holyseeker.

 

 

 

“If you decide you want to ride with the others in the car, I will understand,” Holyseeker said in a soft voice.  “I won’t think badly of you.”

 

 

 

Willow looked up into the sky to where her friends were flying on their dragons.  She could hear their laughter echoing through the air.  “I only have a small fear of heights.”  She measured a very minute space between two fingers.

 

 

 

“Your fear of frogs is greater,” Holyseeker replied.

 

 

 

Willow nodded.

 

 

 

“You go ahead and fly,” Joyce said to Willow while she patted the young woman’s arm.  “We’ll meet you all there.”

 

 

 

“Okay.”  Willow climbed up onto Holyseeker’s back.  The dragon crouched down to the ground, and with a push of powerful muscles, pushed off into the sky.  Willow let out a small shriek.

 

 

 

The riderless dragons followed Holyseeker and Willow.

 

 

 

“Guess we better hurry up and get to the Celestial Council,” Cordelia said as she turned to Wesley. 

 

 

 

Giles stared at Wesley as if he’d just noticed the younger ex-Watcher’s presence.   The young man looked different from the last time Giles had seen him.  Giles couldn’t quite put his finger on it, but Wesley did seem strangely confident.  “Wesley, this is a surprise.”

 

 

 

“Yes, it is,” Wesley replied.  In his pocket, his cell phone rang.  “Let me get this.”

 

 

 

Cordelia grimaced while she watched Wesley dig out his phone.  “That’s probably Angel, wondering where we are.  I kinda forgot to call in sick.”

 

 

 

Wesley flipped the phone open, and answered.  “Wyndam-Pryce.”  He paused for a moment.  “Hello, Angel.  Yes, Cordelia and I are together.”

 

 

 

Cordelia shook her head frantically.  She didn’t want Angel to know they were in Sunnydale.  He’d probably be tempted to track them down if he did know.

 

 

 

“Well, you see, Angel, Cordelia has granted me a second chance to make a good impression,” Wesley drawled.  “We’re out on a date up the coast.”  He paused.   “No, I haven’t spilled my drink or dinner on her.  I’m not completely pathetic.  We’ll be back to work tomorrow.”

 

 

 

Cordelia stared at Wesley in astonishment.  Who knew the ex-Watcher, self-proclaimed rogue demon hunter, was such a good liar?    Maybe he wasn’t as hopeless as she’d previously thought.

 

 

 

Wesley rolled his eyes.  “Of course, I remember she is recovering from Doyle’s premature demise.  I’m not a bloody idiot, Angel.”  He pulled the phone away from his ear, and he punched the button to end the call.

 

 

 

“Do you think he knows about the dragons in Sunnydale yet?” Giles asked.  They didn’t need Angel nosing around at the moment.

 

 

 

“No,” Wesley said with a shake of his head.  “Angel doesn’t watch the telly.  Unless someone mentions them, he won’t know anything about the dragons until we’ve returned to Los Angeles.”

 

 

 

“Yeah, we better get the meeting over with and get back before he broods too much.”  Cordelia marched over to her car.  “Are we following you or vice versa?” she threw over her shoulder at Joyce.

 

 

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

 

 

 

“Ahem.”  Someone cleared their throat.  A boy’s voice rang through the night air.  “Hey, Caly, look at Glory.  She’s having a tantrum like she’s a five year old.  She looks so funny.”

 

 

 

“I know, Amon.  She’s getting her dress dirty and grass in her hair.  Mummy is going to be so mad.”

 

 

 

“You,” Glory growled.  She rolled over to glare at the pair of young boys staring at her.  The dark haired boy was taller than the red haired boy, and he leaned on the shorter boy’s shoulder smirking at Glory.

 

 

 

“Well, hello, little sister.  Fancy meeting you here,” the dark haired boy mocked.

 

 

 

“I’m going to make you sorry you were ever wished into existence, Amon.”  Glory leapt at the dark haired boy with her fingers extended like claws.  She let out a muffled grunt when she passed right through both young men.

 

 

 

“Glory’s so stupid, she doesn’t even realize we’re figments of her imagination,” Caly chortled.  His red curls bounced as he laughed at his sister.

 

 

 

“She so is, isn’t she?” Amon threw back his head and laughed.  Caly joined in as they faded from sight.

 

 

 

“I’m not stupid.  I’m not, not, not!” Glory screamed to the heavens.

 

 

 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

 

 

 

Poisondreamer landed in a clearing in the middle of the woods a few hundred miles north of Sunnydale, close to the Oregon-California border.  She laid her precious cargo down on the ground before squatting near the young woman. 

 

 

 

Poisondreamer loved forests.  They made her calm, and she felt more at home among the trees than she did anywhere else.

 

 

 

“Wake up,” the violet dragon whispered to her human companion.  “I can’t wait to meet you.”

 

 

 

Faith took a deep breath and opened her eyes.